“Rakhi” Wins Best Film Award in Odia Category of National Road Safety Short Film Festival, 2022
Puri: ‘Rakhi’, a film based on the brother-sister bond and directed by Manmay Dey from Balasore was awarded as the best film in the Odia category and ‘The Power of 2 Sec’, directed by Pankaj Gupta from Bangalore, in non-Odia category at the National Road Safety Short Film Festival, 2022.
Chief Justice S Muralidhar of Orissa High Court congratulated the filmmakers during the festival award ceremony held at Puri City Hall on Saturday.
Speaking on the occasion, Justice Muralidhar said: “The issues raised in road safety films are very relevant. I hope this festival will raise awareness about safe driving habits and help us reduce road accidents and related fatalities. This festival is also a revelation for the judiciary.
In his address, Justice Murahari Sri Raman urged to focus on liability insurance for all vehicles, free treatment of trauma patients for the first 48 hours after the accident, blood donation and a well-equipped ambulance at regular intervals on the roads.
Sunil Kumar Bansal, DGP, Odisha said, “Movies have a powerful impact on audiences. Road safety films will be a eureka moment for thousands of people. Festivals like this will help raise public awareness of road safety. I urge everyone to wear a helmet when riding two-wheelers. It will save huge lives.
Members of the festival’s jury, including Kuna Tripathy, former president of OFDC and popular actor from Odia; Sidhanta Mohapatra, former MP and veteran actor; Rajesh Touchriver, national award-winning filmmaker; Dharitri Patnaik, entrepreneur and philanthropist and Sujit Mohapatra, Bakul Foundation and author were present on the occasion.
Arun Bothra, Transport Commissioner and Srinibas Behera, Additional Transport Commissioner were also present.
A total of 230 entries were received from across the country for the competition which was open until June 10. Filmmakers, amateur cinephiles and students submitted entries in the form of documentary, experimental, storytelling, fiction, non-fiction and animation. There were entries in many non-Odia languages including Hindi, Telugu, Malayalam and English on various aspects of road safety.
In the final stage of the festival, the shortlisted films were screened on June 24 at Puri Town Hall. Around 700 students from different schools in Puri attended. Previously, 42 pre-selected films were screened at Rourkela on June 18-19.
Here is the list of winners:
- Winner- Balesore Rakhi- Script and direction – Manmay dey
- First runner-up- Departure from Bhubaneswar – produced by Digital Dreams, directed by Jitendra Sethi
- Second runner-up- Helmet – Wear helmet correctly from Bhubaneswar – Written and Directed by Kalinga Jaysingh
- Best Cinematography – DIBYARANJAN MOHAPATRA, The last round from Bhubaneshwar
- Best Screenplay– GULSHAN MOHANTA, Kabach by Baripada
- best steering– MANMAY DEY, rakhi from Balasore
- Best Acting– Kalyani Panda, Na Aau Nuhen from Bhubaneshwar & N Priyadarshini Sahoo, Thank you Baba from Jajpur
- Winner- The power of 2 seconds from bangalore– Script and direction by Pankaj Gupta
- Second runner-up- Awake of Kerala, directed by Sreenath S
- First runner-up- I am on the way from Berhampur by MAHESH STR
- Best Cinematography – Vivek Vijayan, Awake – Kerala
- Best Screenplay – Rohan Yadav, Blocked – Bhubaneswar
- Best Direction – Om Panigrahi, Crown Whisper, Bhubaneswar and Vivek Vijayan, EndJoy, Kerala
- Acting Best Swadhiti & Shitilagna, Sadak by KV, Koraput
Special Jury Prize
- Animation- The thrill can kill – Berhampur
- Movie Santhali – Anhela of Rairangpur